SC - Spoilsport

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Sat Jul 12 08:59:12 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> At least one person took offense at this posting. <sigh> Many of my best
> friends are vegetarians. At least once a year I prepare a dinner for several
> and we get together and listen to the tomatoes gurgle and the carrots scream.
> :-)
>
> The reference to "hypocrites" was NOT a reference to vegetarians in any way.
> It was meant as a reference to CERTAIN animal rights types that I had the
> displeasure of being associated withy for a very brief time. That association
> ended when I was invited to a fund-raising dinner where veal was served.Sort
> of turned me off to the whole movement, if you know what I mean. :-0

It was pretty clear to me that your remarks were not in any way a
condemnation of vegetarians, but of any militant vegetarians who might
equate meat-eating in any form as gratuitous cruelty to animals. Much as
I respect the convictions of those who avoid any foods or drinks for
whatever reasons they may have, the fact is that there are some who
would use any excuse to attempt to impose their views on others.

Now eat your steak or I'll pound ya one! [Previous sentence _not_  meant
to be taken seriously, in case you were wondering.]

> However, IMO, all school children should be taken on a field trip to a meat
> processing plant at least once in their educational career. And I really do
> feel that a vast majority of folks that eat meat think it comes all nicely
> packaged  at the supermarket.

I know a couple of people who have developed serious poultry aversions
from things like this. I just tell my son, when he asks, that the meat
he is eating is the muscles of animnals, and what animal it is in each
case.

I vaguely remember a scene in a book (may have been C.M. Kornbluth's
"The Space Merchants") which featured a gigantic cloned muscle from a
steer, a couple of hundred feet across, nicknamed Chicken Little. Some
guys spend their days cutting steaks off this, which grow back as fast
as they can cut them, and this supplies the meat needs of an entire
planet. Anybody else remember this?

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.