SC - allergy list

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Mon Jul 14 15:38:51 PDT 1997

Adamantius replied to me:

>>Although both the peels taste mostly of sugar, anyway.

>Uh, oh! I wonder if you overdid it on the boiling...obviously without
>the sugar they'd be pretty overpowering, but you want to achieve a
>balance, not obliterate the flavor of the citrus rind. I'm sure this is
>like any process requiring fine tuning, though. You have to do it more
>than once.

I will say that mine tasted more of orange than theirs does of lemon. It
could be the differance between using oranges and lemons. I thought the
orange peels were better than the lime peels I did. I did take care to
trim the orange peel down to just the orange colored portion while I
imagine the commercial outfit just puts in more sugar to cover the pulp
portion's taste. The pulp would also absorb more sugar too, I imagine.

Both mine and the commercial one remind me or the orange shaped and colored
suger segment candy. Niether was like flavored rock candy.

Anyone else out there made candied fruit peel? How did yours taste?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.