SC - Butchery-Apology Sort of

Tue Jul 15 06:00:08 PDT 1997

  Well, I'll bite.  I have a recipie I've adapted from one that came off
  the mead-brewer's digest list that I'm rather fond of, and is drinkable
  quickly.  It is not period as I substitute After the Fall Georgia Peach
  juice blend for the pear juice; and I do not have documentation at all,
  I'm afraid.  At two weeks, this reminded me of an apricot schnapps; my
  oldest bottles are now nine months old and they are drying out nicely.
  The original recipie was posted by Ronan, mka William Drummond, and is
  posted below.  -  Aislinn

Earl Grey Mead    9/17/94
1st - The Feast of the Mad Jailor

24 oz pear juice, unstrained
2 lb honey
2 lb sugar
100 oz water (about)
10 bags of Earl Gray Tea
1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast
1 egg white

Boil honey, water and tea for 1 hour.  Near the end add a little cinnamon,
ginger, clove, rosemary and the egg white.
Remove from heat and let stand till warm as removing the scum.  Now add the
yeast, dissolved in warm water.
This brew can be drank in as little as 48 hours, but will be extremely raw.

After a weeks time, add 1 lb of sugar and let ferment.  After about 2 weeks
more, add the rest of the sugar.  This will strengthen it and give a better
flavor and keep the mead from "drying out".

For fining the wine, take the shell from an egg that has been dried and
powder it with a pinch of salt.  Take this and add it to the white of one
egg and some wine from your vat and gently stir all back into the brew.
Let set for about 2 to 4 days and then filter and bottle the wine.  This is
a nice natural way with out the use of chemicals.

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.