SC - RE: Allergies (A Long Rant From One Who Goes There)

willow@dowco.com willow at dowco.com
Tue Jul 15 14:54:07 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> So, since Lord Ras has brought it up, when was the green pepper introduced
> to Europe and from where? I would have said the Middle East not having done
> any research on this. It is a different family than the chili peppers of the
> New World, correct?

A capsicum is a capsicum. I believe it is the variety that is different,
between sweet and hot peppers. All are New World, though.

As for how they may have ended up in Europe, it is probably through
trading between the Spaniards, the Portuguese, and the Turks, who, it is
believed, brought various peppers to Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
The Portuguese are believed to have brought them to the Far East.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.