SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Tue Jul 15 14:41:07 PDT 1997

Responding to my message or someone who quoted my message Lord Ras asks:

<< I've got a friend in my group who is alergic to the oil in green
peppers.>>

I know I should let this pass but..........How is a green pepper allergy
pertinent to period feasts since green peppers are not a period food? Even
late period?

I wasn't sure if green peppers were period or not when I brought this up.
However, I figured they were at least as period as the peppers (capsicum)
that had been mentioned.

Part of the reason his case sticks in my mind (and I didn't mention) is
that what he is allergic to is the oil in the green peppers. This means
that he has to be careful at resturants. If say he avoids green peppers
by ordering a pepperoni pizza (without green peppers) he will still
break out if they cut the pepperoni with a knife that has not been
washed after being used to cut a green pepper.

Others are probably in a similar situation. Some allergies or ways of
causing them you just don't think about. This is why the person with
the allergies needs to let the cooks know well ahead of time or make
their own provisions. But is good when headcooks are aware of allergies
and how to work around them.

So, since Lord Ras has brought it up, when was the green pepper introduced
to Europe and from where? I would have said the Middle East not having done
any research on this. It is a different family than the chili peppers of the
New World, correct?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.