SC - Culinary A&S Entries

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Wed Jul 16 08:52:51 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> The best A&S display of food I've seen was a lady a Gothic Wars a couple of
> years ago.  Her display was of a Roman meal.  She had the original recipes,
> the redactions, the food, wine, and most importantly she was on hand and fed
> the judges the meal in the order it should be presented.  Not only had she made
> the food but also vinted the wines.  Her hands-on approach in letting the judges
> experience a light meal as it should be properly appreciated is what really
> scored.  It was the first time I had seen a purely food entry win an A&S.

Very cool!

I did something similar at a Northern Lights Pentathlon in the East a
couple of years ago, but the meal was focused on preserved travel foods.
My sources were such that no single time and place was represented
alone. If I remember correctly, there was dry, smoked sausage, cheese,
oatcakes, compost of mixed pickles, quince marmalade, a small ale and a
mead. I wasn't able to be present at the judging, so I laid it out, more
or less, as a picnic buffet.

I turned my documentation into an article for T.I., which IIRC was
printed last spring or summer, called "The Pilgrim's Picnic Basket", in
case anyone is interested.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.