SC - mead recipes

Wed Jul 16 08:48:13 PDT 1997

> I truly think that the main reason for such assinine behavior is
> that some folks who come to events look at the Feast as if they were
> going to a restaurant and do not realize that in actuality they are
> in a "private" person's castle for dinner. When I invite people to
> dinner they do not expect or ask that their personal "likes" be
> catered to. They either eat it or they don't.

Actually, the etiquette rules, according to Miss Manners, in this
situation are more complicated than that. If the person issuing the
invitation does not know that the potential guest has a dietary
limitation, the guest should decline or ask if they will be OK, and
offer to bring an appropriate entre or other dish to help out. If the
person issuing the invitation knows that the guest has a dietary
limitation, then it should be addressed immediately. As a vegetarian
who gets invited to family events of friends and girlfriends, I assure
you that I never leave myself in a situation where there's nothing
I can eat; I either decline in advance, if I don't think I can politely
ask the cook, or I ask.

Hopefully I have not butchered Miss Manner's advice.

- -- gb

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.