SC - Culinary A&S Entries

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 17 08:08:42 PDT 1997

>From: LadyBetta at aol.com
>Subject: Re: Re(2): Re(2): SC - Butchery-Apology Sort of
>
>I know this may be a stupid question but what is a Collop?
>Lady Betta

Dear Lady Betta

There are no stupid questions. Answers, however, I cannot vouch for!

A collop is a thin very tender piece of meat, which usually has been beaten
to break down the meat fibers. In modern terms, you would think of it as a
thinly sliced "medallion", or a piece of meat (usually beef or pork)
comparable to those thinly sliced breakfast steaks one can buy sometimes at
the supermarket. Collops are usualy served/made with rich gravy. I once had
the pleasure of partaking of a Collops dish made with a lightly hopped
Stout. It was fabulous. I must track down that cook and get the recipe!

Aoife

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.