SC - Re: Welcome to Errick

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Tue Jul 22 19:26:40 PDT 1997

Nancy R. Mollette wrote:
>                I have been asked by my husband, Lord Gaven, to throw this
> question open to debate:
>
>      Given that period sauces were, for the most part, used to temper the
> humors of the food so that it might be safely eaten...should the intent in
> recreation be to reproduce the balance of the original, or to find sauces that
> might better suit the material being prepared?  An example being:...salmon is
> tempered with sauce cameline....but are there not more flavorful things than
> cinnamon to put onto salmon?
>
>      Pray direct all flames to the guilty party only.

Well, one might possibly find sauces that better suit the material being
prepared, than those that were used, at times, to temper the humors of
the food so that it might be safely eaten. The only problem with this is
that it isn't even an attempt at recreation. It's like saying that the
fighters in the SCA could get much further using AK-47's.

I guess they could, but if we accept the idea that recreating various
aspects of medieval life is a good thing, then we probably need to
approach this question with an attitude that looks for the fun in
learning how things were done, not how modern people might do them. If
it's just a question of not liking salmon with cameline brewet, then
possibly the thing to do is to find a new recipe for cameline brewet,
or, to use another perfectly acceptable medieval approach, use some
sauce other than cameline. Just because a doctor recommended something
doesn't mean it was universally adhered to, any more than it is today.

Egredouce, anyone?

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com