SC - Taillevent's Aloyeaulx de v

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 23 05:35:03 PDT 1997

Ron Martino Jr wrote:

>         When folks speak of 'green peppers' I think of bell peppers. According
> to Organic Gardening, February 1997, the first bell pepper was the
> California Wonder, introduced 1928 CE.

This may be so. On the other hand, that is not to say that the capsicums
that existed previously were exclusively hot chilies, either.

> > Chili peppers were introduced at a relatively earlier time becoming a major
> > agricultural crop in the Meditteranean Basin by 1523 C.E. specifically
> > because they provided, IMO, an inexpensive alternative to black pepper.
> > However, I would bet my last dime that anyone allergic to the oils in green
> > peppers would also be allergic to the oils in Capsicum.

I have yet to determine the extent to which I'll buy that whole 1523
C.E. thing. COULD be true, but there's a difference between could and
was...

>         Sorry - you lose. A lady in my household is allergic to bell peppers
> (all varieties, apparently), but has no equivalent reaction to chilies.

Huhhh... There's not a whole heck of a lot, chemically, that's in Bell
peppers (except maybe a wax coating ;  )  ) that isn't in chilies. It
may be a question of relative quantities consumed. Does the lady eat,
say, 3 - 4 ounces of chilies at a sitting? Another aspect that might be
considered is the fact that not every food that disagrees with one is
the result of an allergy. My brother makes the same claim, but he has
yet to have a doctor back up this idea.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com