SC - Re: Welcome to Errick

Wed Jul 23 07:03:18 PDT 1997

<< When folks speak of 'green peppers' I think of bell peppers. According
 to Organic Gardening, February 1997, the first bell pepper was the
 California Wonder, introduced 1928 CE.  >>

>From Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book:

"India andd Hungary, Italy and Spain had to await Columbus to develope what
are now their most typical dishes. Even after the discovery of America it
took time- the red dishes of Hungarian cookery, paprikas and gulyas, date
from the 17th and 18th centuries only. In this country (England) we have
waited longer still. Peppers semm only to have been on sale here (England)
for about 20 years (circa 1958 C.E.), first as an expensive exotic, more
recently as a commonplace.......

There we have it. Green peppers were introduced into England in the late
1950's C.E. Sweet red peppers were introduced into India and Hungary in the
mid to late 17th century.

Lord Ras ( when memory fails, look it up. :-))