SC - Novice Only Redaction Challenge

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Jul 30 13:03:54 PDT 1997

No, the wax is not needed if they are using a canning lid.  The little disk
that fits on the jar before the actual lid is screwed on.  Like Brid says
though, you must put the lid on as soon as the jelly/jam etc. is in the
jar. (If you get surejell for your jellies they give you directions for
cold pack as well as the hot pack).
you can can other things...  I can peaches and pears.  I just cut up the
fruit into the sterilized jar and add a 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar and add water
to fill up the jar to about an 1/8 of an inch from the top of the jar. Put
the tops and lids on and then I put the jars in a boiling water bath for
1/2 hour.  Take them out and let them cool. You will hear them popping and
that is the sound of them sealing.  Place them in your cabinet and let them
be until you want to eat them.  I still have some peaches I canned in 1992
in the garage.  I keep forgetting about them.  But I pull out a jar every
so often and they taste great.
You can hot pack tomato sauce and picante sauce too.
Lucilla