SC - The siege cook challenge.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 30 15:28:35 PDT 1997

Angie Capozello wrote:

> Ok, since I've never poached fish before, or done a lot of these regular
> cooking techniques, what's a good basic learn-to-cook book?  I've done lots
> of breads and desserts, but I'm definately lacking in knowledge of terms
> and techniques for main course types of food.  I think I'd be less afraid
> to try my hand at actually cooking these recipes if I knew more of the
> basics.
>
> Thank you!

If I could have only one cook book, it wouild probably be some edition
of the Rombauers' "Joy of Cooking". Not everything they do is the
definitive version of that thing, but it's more comprehensive than just
about any cookbook I've ever seen, and it requires no key to understand
the secret cooks' jargon ;  ) .

There's a new edition due out any time now, of which, nearly all
remaining traces of the original text by the Rombauer sisters will have
been replaced by stuff from modern authors. You may or may not want
that, and act accordingly.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com