SC - Novice Redaction

Melissa Martines melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com
Wed Jul 30 15:28:09 PDT 1997

     I have to admit I was a little intimidated by the "cook an entire
     feast for these ingredients" challenge.  Although I'm not a novice
     feastcrat, I usually spend a lot of time researching and testing
     recipes in advance, so that's why I didn't play.

     I will, however, take a stab at the perch recipe:

     Boiled Perch   ("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155)

       "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and
     make
       to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile,
     skeme
       hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum
     uppe,
       and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of
     parcelly.
       and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

     Take a perch and clean it and cut off its head.  Bring water and salt
     to a boil, cast the perch in and poach until done.  Take the fish out
     and cool.  Filet and cut into chunks.  Mix with fresh chopped parsley
     and vinegar and serve cold.

     The cold fish, the fresh bite of parsley and vinegar (or verjuice)
     seemed to me to make kind of a nice fish salad type dish.

     Morgan