Re- SC - A real siege cook

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed Jul 30 18:22:03 PDT 1997

Okay everyone.  I got out of my meeting early and am posting this before reading all my other mail, so sorry if I do this the same as everyone else.

Snipped recipe

Boiled Perch			("Perch boiled", Harleian MS 4016, # 155)

  "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and make
  to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme
  hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,
  and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of parcelly.
  and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

Two perch (the perch I know are not very big so I am using more than one)
Salt - two teaspoons
Parsley - 1 tablespoon
Vinegar - 1 tablespoon

Clean and gut fish, remove the heads (no Stargazey fish dish here).  Bring the water and the salt to a gentle boil.  I am not sure about the skimming, was salt processed as it is now or could there have been other minerals in the water?  I would boil the fish until tender, 15 - 20 minutes  (possibly 25 unknown not having cooked fish this way before) Remove it from the water and lay it on a towel to release the excess salt and water, then skin and debone the fish.  Chill the perch and then sprinkle with parsley and vinegar.

So, how'd I do troops?

Murkial
Christi Redeker
C-Redeker at mail.dec.com