SC - chicken on string

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Thu Jul 31 10:28:44 PDT 1997

This is what I would do with my knowledge and how I cook everyday.

I remember that we had one chicken, and I am hoping to find another one to replace her in the forest soon.  I would figure that no one expects a grandiose meal so I would try to spice up plain fare and see how they like it.

I would use and some of the lard to make pie crusts.

Then I would use 9 of the eggs and create three quiches.

One I would use the veggies from the garden and some sage and a little onion.

The second I would use a little of the pork precooked in a little garlic and sherry and I would add about a cup of raisins that I would cook with the pork before adding to the quiche.

The third would be made with that dry herring soaked to reconstitute, and some of the almonds and the cinnamon.

I would create about a 1/5 pound roast with the cloves, and some of the red wine some dried figs (my choice), onions and very little garlic.  I would stud the roast with the cloves and soak in a marinade of the sauce.  I would start the roast dry and just continue to ladle sauce over as it cooks.

I would also kill the laying hen and clean her.  Then I would stuff her with bread crumbs, almonds, onion, a little bit of the lemon rind, and one of the pickles chopped up finely.

I would make a Custard also using, eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon.  I would try and use some of the raisins to create a design of the counts on the top of the custard after it is cooked.

I would make onion pastries with the butter, onion, garlic and flour.

And a salad from the herbs and greens in the garden.  For a change for a dressing type I would take some of the pickle vinegar, sugar, garlic and chopped almonds.

I would send out a couple of young girls to find dandelion greens in the forest and any other edible greens, and fry them in a bit of the lard with two cloves chopped garlic.

I would take the rest of the egg and a little melted butter and brush it across the top of about four loaves of bread and bake for about 5-10 minutes to create a crispy crust.

And now for my one recipe I have actually redacted, egredouce, with the rest of the pork and the fat and marrow and assorted other pieces with the vinegar, cinnamon and bread crumbs.

This is what I would serve:

1st course:
Bread on the table
Water with a bit of the lemon in it
Salad
Herring Quiche
Egredouce

I would serve out some raisins and currants soaked in wine.

2nd course:

Bread
Water with lemon
Roast Chicken
Pork Quiche
Fried Greens
Have the servers serve out glasses of the wine

Third course:

Bread
Water with lemon
Roast Pork
Onion Pastries
Quiche with the greens

Then I would serve out the custard with his device and someone to "sing" his honors in battle.

I couldn't tell you exactly what cooking implements they would have, but I would expect square pans, pots and lids (very large most of them for feeding quite a few people), pie plates, spoons, forks, knives, ladles etc... and strainers, whisks, a grater and a few other things I am sure.

As for the staff, I am sure I would have to make due with quite a younger staff than normal.  The boys would be helping out with repairs and those old enough would have been fighting.  So I figure I would have the younger unmarried ladies and girls, and maybe the young boys (possibly a page or two).

So everybody... What do you think?  What could I have done to improve this and what would make it more period???

Murkial  (waiting nervously)

Christi Redeker
C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Dow Workstation Service Center