SC - chicken on string (and beef)

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Jul 31 12:28:43 PDT 1997

I get the digest, so I have comments and questions on a couple of
things:

> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:28:44 -0400
> From: Donna Kenton <donna at dabbler.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - chicken on string
>
> Marisa Herzog wrote:
>
> >technique please?  this sounds fun and nicely showy.
>
> > (imagining not only a nice chicken dinner, but the jealous looks from
> > other
> > encampments)
> > -brid
>
> Oh, yeah, you get *lots* of jealous looks!  I have an iron tripod thing,
> though it would work with sticks if they were secure.  Basically, you
> need a way to support the chicken right beside (not over) the fire.  I
> have two uprights and one horizontal pole across the top of the other
> two.
>
> And you need a firepit.  I haven't had any luck with it in a mongolian
> shield because it's hard to keep the bird and fire close enough together
> or the fire hot enough (set the bird on fire, the ground on fire...
> <grin>).
<<procedure snipped for brevity>>

> Clear as mud, right?  <grin>
>
> Rosalinde
> - --
> Donna Kenton * Rosalinde De Witte * donna at dabbler.com *
> http://www.dabbler.com/

My favorite Saturday evening meal at a campsite is leg of lamb roasted
over our tripod firepit. Since the fire dangers are so severe in
California (both West and Caid), we are, generally speaking, forbidden
open flames and firepits, hence the popularity of portable firepits.
Mine is a Duke Flieg type that consists of a tripod, a roughly hexagonal
dish of six interlocking metal plates for the fire, a hexagonal grill
pinned to the tripod, and a set of chains hanging from the apex of the
tripod. I use the upper grill for pots; the chains for spinning a roast.

Roasting leg of lamb also produces envious looks ("Why didn't *I* think
of that?!" usually) and smell-feasts. (grin) Lots of smell-feasts. I
promised Stefan a lamb meal the next time we happen to be at a camping
event-- which hasn't happened due to my present level of inactivity. I
haven't forgotten, though. ;)

>No action is required on your part.
>- ----- End Included Message -----
>
>See?  See?  Another one!
>
>Gunthar

No, no-- they're all going to Pennsic. Hrmph. Those of us who aren't
going will eagerly await stories and experiences around the fires...

ciorstan

> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
> Subject: Re: SC - Reverse Challenge
>
> Greetings from Tibor.

<<snipped for brevity>>

> I don't have a clue what the "Orenge Minct" is.  If forced to guess, I'd say
> it's a piece of orange peel, preserved, and then minced.  Probably as
> garnish.  (Preserved orange peel would, if I guess right, probably be
> sugared.)

Got me, too. I thought of the herb bee balm, which is sometimes called
orange mint or bergamot or even Oswego tea, but it's a New World plant
(and popular in the Amerind medicinal tradition, apparently). Back to
Old World: Neroli orange is a source of orange oils pressed from the
rind, I believe; then there's bergamot orange, which is the source for
the bergamot oil used to prepare Earl Grey tea (which I personally
dislike). What about lemon balm (melissa officinalis, I think), which,
when crushed, smells like a pungent combination of Lemon Pledge and old
sweat socks?

ciorstan