SC - Roast Beef Recipe

SUZANNE_POWELL SUZANNE_POWELL at aspentec.com
Thu Jul 31 14:07:16 PDT 1997

  Unfortunately, I like mine rare, and the dearly beloved likes his
  <groan> well done.

Cook yours, and then send a slice or two back for him to burn.  (:-)

  Slice onions and apples (about equal parts) and add them to a salted and
  peppered pan with a couple of whole cloves, a couple small pieces of
  cinnamon, and a few slices of ginger.  Drizzle honey over the roast, and
  add about 12 ounces of water to the pan.  Cover and bake in a moderate
  oven (or in a bake kettle at the fire) until done.  If the resulting
  apple-onion sauce is too thin for you, you can reduce it.  I've had
  people standing in line for seconds on this.

I can imagine.

I believe that butter sauted apples and onions are a period dish, and they
make a FINE accompaniment to pork, as well.

An ex-roomate of mine made what he called "October Sauce" which was a
homemade compote of half apples and half pears.  EXCELLENT on pork.

	Tibor