SC - canning

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 31 22:40:30 PDT 1997

>   Well, here is one
> some sent to me in response to a request I made for Aliper sauce -
> recipie but no redaction.  I would very much like to try this, can you
> help point me in the right directions?
>
> 1) I am guessing that Ashmole ms:1429.... is the source.  Can anyone
> explain what book etc this may be from and how I could co about looking up
> or finding this source - what kind of document would I be looking for.

	These are the original sources - the documents in which the recipe
appears. I found it reprinted in _Take a Thousand Eggs or More_, volume
two.

> 2) what kind of vinegar would you use?

	Red wine vinegar, though a cider vinegar would work also.

> 3) does the smal y-stampyd refer to the garlic?  and what does it mean.

	That would be my guess. I suggest mincing the garlic.

> 4) do you steep the bread, or bread crumbs?

	The bread is intended to thicken the sauce, so I would make crumbs from
the toasted bread.

> My attempt at reading this would be to take brown bread and toast it in
> slices . Steep it in a cider vineger (for a full bodied flavor since it is
> going with beef), strain it and add pressed fresh garlic juice,pepper and
> salt.
>
> So how is this do you think,  and anyone have guesses for quantities?
> Would any of you use any of the beef drippings with this as well?
>
> Shirley

	Looks good. I tend not to use quantities, prefering to make my sauces
to taste.

	Yumitori