SC - Offended Feasters

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 18:37:47 PDT 1997

<< The extent to which you were prepared to accomodate those with special
needs is almost irrelevant in comparison to the simple fact that you posted
the conditions under which you were working in advance for all to see, and
you kept your word, which is more than many people do.

 It isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that someone has suffered
for doing the right thing. >>

This post brings back memories! :-) At my "Everything You Can Beg, Borrow or
Steal From the King's Forest" feast I recieved no advance food allergen
warnings. The first dish was "Grete Stewe of Bruin" (Bear Stew), one lady ate
3 bowls of it. Later, in the eevening while checking up on the clean-up crew,
this rather large lady literally barged into the kitchen, picked me up bodily
and slammed me several times against the wall while useing the best
Elizabethan English I had heard in a long time. In the end, I gathered that I
had condemned her to hell because :no one in their right mind would serve
such a thing at a feast" and " her reigion forbade the eating of bear meat as
unclean. She tho't that I was "joking" when I listed the bear stew on the
menu! What a hoot! :-0

At my "Middle Eastern " feast, no one objected to the goat but about 1/2 hour
after the feast was over, a lady frantically rushed up to me asking if there
were really lentils in the "Pottage of Lentils". Yes, I said. She suddenly
rushed off screaming that I was tryinmg to kill her son. And, in fact, her
son had to be rushed to the emergency room because he was in a state of shock
and his breathing was almost stopped.

IN both instances the menus, etc. were readily accessible to all.

The point being that you can post menus, ingredients and whatever but there
are always going to be people who don't look out for themselves. The cook
cannot be a babysitter on that level and, indeed, should not try to be.

Lord Ras

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.