SC - Butchering

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 1 10:19:14 PDT 1997

Lord Ras writes:

     >There are no similarities whatsoever between pre-20th century
     >lifestyles and any lifestyles occuring before then, in any way shape
     >or form.

     I presume, My Lord, that your fingers outpaced your point, and that
     you meant "post-"20th?

     The question raised in the original posting is not trivial, however,
     at least not if taken in detail.  Period butchering was certainly much
     different from the modern, not only in mechanical technique but in
     concept.  The one-serving-per-plate (and one bedroom per person, and
     so on) concepts that we find comfortable and familiar would have been
     foreign even to our own countrymen well into the 18th century.

     IDHMRAW (new acronym:  I Don't Have My References at Work), but there
     are numerous archaeological studies (one of the Royal Navy's
     Victualling Yard in London comes to mind) that speak to such practices
     in period.  It is a subject well worth investigating.

                                        Bjarni

     Chuck Diters/Bjarni Edwardsson                     West/Oertha/Eskalya
     Shadowood Manor, 9541 Victor Road, Anchorage, AK 99515-1470
     ph:  (907)344-5753                    Email: chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov
     "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's
     too dark to read."--Groucho Marx