SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #182

Debra Hense debh at microware.com
Tue Jul 1 15:15:32 PDT 1997

     OK, I am going crazy here trying to research early period food for the
     Coronation of HRH Alinon (why can't he be 15th century? :)  )

     Anyway, three questions for those of you with more experience with
     this:

     1)  Can anyone confirm for certain that the Celts did not eat fowl?
     Birds have been conspicuously absent on the lists of foods I have been
     finding, and several people have told me that Celts didn't eat them
     for religious reasons.

     2)  If they didn't eat birds, any suggestions on the second meat to
     serve?  I'm already planning on beef and don't want to do another red
     meat.  Fish doesn't generally go over real well in Meridies (too many
     people are either allergic and just don't like it.)

     3)  I was told to look for feast descriptions in the Mabinogion.  So
     far, I've read three of the stories (which were fun) but all they
     mention is "they sat down to feast."

     You can respond to me privately if you have any suggestions.  I really
     appreciate it.

     Thanks.

     Lady Morgan