SC - semolina and mixed herbs

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 7 10:40:21 PDT 1997

Babygoil at aol.com wrote:

> Hey all!
>   I just received several unsub posts and a post about my personal E-mail
> address...Ok, I'm like duh...What would you like me to do exactly? Is this a
> list more for the mideval role players or as I thought, a period style
> cooking list, which to me entails recipes? I'm glad you folks have a grown up
> dress up game you like to play, (and people think cross dressers are
> strange..LOL).. but I was interested in recipes. If I'm mistaken, let me
> know. maybe the misrepresentation in the title sca-COOKS is why people are
> unsubbing..its not what they thought.I don't really care if someone from 300
> years ago knew how to butcher meat..its a moot point. If I am correct in my
> assumption, please let me know so I can unsub too. As stated in my intro, I
> am a gourmet cook and not into the dress up game scene, only recipes. I did
> notice a reference to some old cookbooks, are they available? ..Liza

Just one of those days, I guess. I recall that two folks attempted to
unsubscribe from the list using the main listserver instead of the
majordomo robot that is in charge of subscriptions, so we all got the
messages in question.

We frequently discuss recipes on this list, both in some semblance of
their original form, and in reconstructions designed for the modern cook
and kitchen. We also occasionally get into the general techniques and
philosophy behind the cooking. Sometimes we get bogged down in endless
debate on some relatively trivial issue, which, if you're not directy
involved or directly interested in the trivial issue, can become a bit
tedious.

Just now many people in the SCA are preparing for the Pennsic War, so
there is a good deal of talk about camping and provisioning.

Interestingly enough, the Pennsic War site and event are good places to
get a number of medieval and renaissance cookery books. You might also
try an online search for Falconwood Press and/or Poison Pen Press, both
of which are good places to start.

Now, if there's some trivial issue you wanted to debate, I'm sure
there's someone on this list who'd be happy to oblige ;  ).

Good luck!
Adamantius