SC - Re: Shaped Bread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 7 10:15:07 PDT 1997

Sabia wrote:

>I am curious to know of any sources discussing the use of bread
>dyed and/or shaped as a decoration.  Can anybody suggest a good place
>to start reading(must be English:()?

It was unclear if this meant "period sources" or modern sources.  I'm
not certain of period references, and they are unlikely to be in
cookery books but rather in discussions of what was presented at a
feast.  However, a really "neat" modern book is from the Professional
French Pastry Series by Roland Bilheux and Alain Escoffier published by
Van Nostrand Reinhold.  Unfortunately I just lent my copy to someone
yesterday so I can't provide an exact title.  Upscale bookstores might
carry this series which may be going out of print.  It has detailed
pictures of fantastic "subtleties" all made of bread as well as recipes
for many versions of bread.

Alys Katharine