SC - Meat for a week

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 7 10:49:46 PDT 1997

Liza wrote:

>> Is this a
list more for the mideval role players or as I thought, a period style
cooking list, which to me entails recipes?

This is a list concerning medieval cooking, which includes (among other
things) authentic recreation of cooking techniques in the pre-Renaissance
period.  Because the "recipes" available from that time period are sometimes
lacking in detail (to put it mildly) this list also includes a fair amount
of side discussion of the bases on which folks flesh out those recipes and
adapt them for current use.

>> maybe the misrepresentation in the title sca-COOKS is why people are
unsubbing

I think what you may have missed in the title of the list is the "SCA,"
which translates into "Society for Creative Anachronism," a group which, as
you put it, is a grownup dressup game.  This is a list for cooks in that
group who are attempting to recreate medieval cookery.  As such it may not
be to your taste, since someone with a desire for recipes will only be
interested in so many posts about (for example) the medieval uses of butter,
or the techniques for building  a brick oven, or what sorts of meats will
keep for a week in August without refrigeration.

The reason you were getting copied on the "unsub" requests is that they were
sent to the list itself instead of the list management software.  Should you
decide to unsubscribe, the post you got when you first signed up will tell
you how to avoid this.

>>I did
notice a reference to some old cookbooks, are they available?

Various bibliographies have been posted over the last few months, as have
redactions of various period recipes.  You might want to look into getting
past digests.  Alternatively, I have copies of some of those posts and could
send them to you directly.

Pardon my presumption in replying; others here are of longer standing, and
could have done so more fittingly, but I had a keyboard to hand and a minute
to spare.

I remain, in service,

Caitlin (caitlin at phosphor-ink.com)