Re(2): Re(2): SC - Re: Butchery

Baaastard@aol.com Baaastard at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 17:20:08 PDT 1997

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) wrote:

> It seems that the brine keeps liquimen sanitary and promotes the
> liquification, so it doesn't seem all that bad to me.  The salt also
> probably effects the pH to activate some of the enzymes and bacteria
> needed as well.  Strange to say the least.

As I understand the process (there was a big to-do on liquamen, garum,
nuoc mam, nampla, etc. in rec.food.historic a couple of weeks ago), the
salt is there to prevent the growth and reproduction of pathogenic
bacteria. This it does.

It does allow a certain proliferation of lactobaccili, even with the
high salinity. They eat whatever it is they eat and produce, in return,
lactic acid, in which the fish are effectively pickled, just like kosher
dills or sauerkraut.

Enzymes in the fish (especially if there are entrails involved) break
the fish down to a paste/liquid.

Yum! ;  )

Adamantius