Fwd> Re> Fwd> SC - Celtic Feast

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Jul 2 07:41:50 PDT 1997

I forwarded this to a friend.  Unfortunately, the way my backwards e-mail
system works, unless I have the e-mail addess in the text, I can't get it
(there are no headers, per se).

Derdriu

*********************

1)  Can anyone confirm for certain that the Celts did not eat fowl?
     Birds have been conspicuously absent on the lists of foods I have
     been finding, and several people have told me that Celts didn't eat
     them for religious reasons.

I highly doubt that Celts did not eat fowl.  Who are you talking about and
when?  Irish, Welsh, Scotts, continental Celts? From 5th to 12th century
would all constitute early.  Not only was it not prohibited in Christian
Ireland, Wales and Scotland but actively encouraged by Lenten practices.

     2)  If they didn't eat birds, any suggestions on the second meat to
     serve?  I'm already planning on beef and don't want to do another red
     meat.  Fish doesn't generally go over real well in Meridies (too many
     people are either allergic and just don't like it.)

Actually beef was rarer than pork and white meats ie. dairy products.  The
large herds of cattle are clearly used for milking rather than beef
production.  Samon was frequent in both Ireland and Scotland and tends to
be more acceptable (and cheeper) than other fish today.

     3)  I was told to look for feast descriptions in the Mabinogion.  So
     far, I've read three of the stories (which were fun) but all they
     mention is "they sat down to feast."

I would think that the law codes (Brehon for Ireland and Scotland and
Hydell Da for Wales) would be better sources.  I will attempt to check
them out.  The Mabinogion tales often revolve around swine indicating the
central role of pork in the Welsh diet.

Charles OConnor
jphughes at raven.cc.ukans.edu

You did not include her email address so I will have to forward this back
through you.

Charles

******

jphughes at raven.cc.ukans.edu