SC - Re: Recipe Challenge

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Jul 8 19:45:23 PDT 1997

>From: Gretchen M Beck <grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
>Date: Tue,  8 Jul 1997 13:33:45 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Re: SC - Recipe challenge
>
>Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 8-Jul-97 Re: SC - Recipe
>challenge by Philip & Susan Troy at asan
>> "II. ALITER PATINA VERSATILIS: nucleos, nuces fractas; torres eas et
>> teres cum melle, pipere, liquamine, lacte et ovis. olei modicum (122)
>>
>> 2. TURNOVER. Toast pine-kernels and chopped nuts, pound with honey,
>> pepper, liquamen, milk, and eggs. <Cook in> a little oil."
>
>Assuming that that's the original Latin above, I get something more like this:
>
>2. Flip-flop. Take and grind nuts and dry them.  Make the nuts smooth
>with honey, liquamen, milk, and eggs.  <Cook> in a little olive oil.
>
>The first part is, pretty much, self-explanitory, though I'd have to try
>it to get the portions.  For the second, I'd say, heat a Tbsp or so of
>olive oil in a flat pan, pour on batter, cook until it bubbles on one
>side, then turn and cook on the other.
>
>toodles, margaret

My turn now! I read the (original) recipe and saw "Nutty/Savory Creme
Caramel". But I made a vegetarian savory carrot custard a month ago that is
still lingering in the memory and effecting my tastebuds.

For the recipe challenge, however:
I would pound and toast the nuts, add the honey,mix in a little oil and put
into the bottom of a greased pan. Add the well beaten egg,broth/milk,
liquamen (depending upon the recipe used), and pepper. Poach (bake with the
pan placed in a larger pan containing 2 inches of water)  in an oven until
set. Cool somewhat, run a knife around the edge. Turn out carefully on your
plate and a nice gooey mass of honey-nut stuff will coat your upside-down
nut custard! Come to think of it, it might work well in small servings in an
egg poacher. It might even work on top of a stove, provided it was cooked in
the bath, and elevated.

I have to admit that I know very little about the actual physical properties
of common Roman Patina---someone please put me out of my misery and tell me
if it's an omlette, a custard, or simply a sort of pottage thickened with
eggs (as the other patina recipes--including one for brains and one for
cooked lettuce--seem to imply). My guess is that Patina is a custard (either
stirred or baked in a bath), but can be of varying density, much as they can
be either consistency today.

Aoife

PS: Adamantius, It's now your turn to play "Stump the Cooks". Tag, you're IT.