Re- SC - canning, very seri

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 31 15:11:07 PDT 1997

On Wed, July 30, Allegra Beati said:

All this said, not that long ago I ALSO was "chicken" to try some home
canning, but now understand it and enjoy it.  It can be intimidating at
first, but give it a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Since many fruits have been at their peak, my husband and I have been
canning some exotic jams and jellies and are getting a head start on our
Christmas gift baskets for this year!

This canning discussion has been interesting. From other discussions
here, I've been considering getting a dehydrator. Now I may start
thinking about a canning setup.

We've mainly been talking about canning fruits and fresh vegetables.
I know canning is not period, but this might be a useful method for
taking foods to events like Gulf Wars and Pennsic. Can someone give
me a rundown of what else can be successfully canned? What types of
foods (sauces?) have others canned?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com