SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #216

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Jul 30 06:26:40 PDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:54:51 -0400 (EDT)
>From: rebecca tants <becca at servtech.com>
>Subject: Re: SC - Re: Pears
>
>> Anyhow, many many years ago, I made this recipe and canned the pears for a
>> camping event. Even though the event was sparsely attended, I ran out of
>
>Ok - pardon my ignorance  here, but how did you can them?  the whole "put
>them in ball jars and immerse in boiling water thing?  or some other method?
>(mom served frozen dinners a lot and while my cooking is significantly
>better, i've made one marmalade so far and that's it for non-frozen preserved
>food)
> Raudh

Bell jars, seals  (lids), hot water bath. You sterilize the jars and
lids/rings by boiling them. Turn 'em upside down to drain on a sterile
towel. One by one use a well padded mitt or tongs to turn up the jars, fill,
wipe the rim clean, put on a lid and ring, and put back in the water. Leave
as little air as possible.Do not completely tighten the rings. You want a
loose but leak-free seal.

Boil them for about 10 minutes. Then remove from the bath.Tighten the rings.
Turn upside down for a few minutes to destroy any bacteria that might have
adhered to the lids. Turn right side up, and let cool. You've been
successful if the lids "pop" inwards, making a vacuum seal.

Handle these puppies with special tools or have a series of thick oven
mitts, since the mitts are useless when wet.

Aoife
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957