SC - My redaction.....

Thu Jul 31 06:32:47 PDT 1997

OK, so after seeing several dozen interpretations of the same recipe, this
is what I had done a few years ago.  Note that now, I'd do it differently.

	Tibor

Boiled Perch

  "Perche boiled. Take a preche, and drawe him in (th)e throte, and make
  to him sauce of water and salt; And whan hit bigynneth to boile, skeme
  hit and caste (th)e perche there-in, and seth him; and take hum uppe,
  and pul him, and serve him forth colde, and cast uppon him foiles of parcelly.
  and (th) sau[c]e is venegre or vergous."

1 1 lb. Perch, or similar fresh water white fish.
Cider vinegar				Parsley to garnish

Salt some water, and set it to boil.  Boil the fish for 5 minutes, or till
cooked.  Serve cold, sprinkle with a few drops of vinegar and some chopped
parsley.

=-=-=-=
Some additional notes: I cooked it whole, but cut the head off to serve it:
lots of people won't eat food that stares back at them.  I redacted it once
with filets, as well.

I didn't skin the fish: that's a personal preference. I left the meat as
intact as I could, and served it skin side down.  I treated the vinegar as I
would lemon for fish: just before serving I sprinkled it lightly.  I used
cider vinegar because one local notable is allergic to grapes, and I wanted
her to have a chance to bid on the meal.  Otherwise, since it calls for
verjus, I might have just as easily used a wine vinegar.  I'll stick with
cider vinegar.

I don't recall which parsley I used: probably curly.  It's what I keep on
hand, because I like the texture, and because its what my mother
traditionally served.  (Not a particularly sterling set of reasons, but they
*are* the real reasons.)

I'm not sure why people are "flaking" or "chunking" the fish.  I think of
"pul"ing the fish as boning....  but quickly checking my dictionary it
thinks that the Old English meaning is "skinning".  So, I was wrong.

I liked it, quite a bit.

So, if I were to do this again, and I may, I'd redact as follows:

1 whole perch
boiling salted water
flat parsley
cider vinegar

Start a pot of salted water boiling.  Gut, scale and rinse the perch,
removing the guts and head.  Use those to make a fish stock out of the
boiling water.  Remove the head and entrails, and boil the fish for five
minutes, or until done.  Remove and pat dry, bone and skin the fish,
removing the tail as well.

Take the resulting filets, chill in the refrigerator.  Just before serving,
sprinkle with chopped parsley leaves and a few drops of vinegar.  Serve
cold.

	Tibor