SC - All members

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 3 16:17:30 PDT 1997

At 8:48 AM +0000 5/26/97, Jessica Tiffin wrote:
>Greetings, all.
>
>I've just tracked down and devoured a copy of the Goodman of Paris
>(wonderful stuff).  He refers to "roasted apples" in many of his
>feast menus.  I'm assuming that this is a standard sort of baked
>apple - would anyone know precisely how they were cooked in period?
>
>Melesine

There is a recipe for baked quinces in Chiquart's cookbook (15th c. French,
as opposed to the Goodman's late 14th c.) and roughly the same recipe for
quinces or pears ("wardons") in Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books
(English).  You have a bottom crust, core your quinces or whatever from the
top without breaking through the bottom, put them on the crust, fill with
sugar (and in the English, ginger; or honey with pepper and ginger) and put
on a top crust.  Bake.  Very good, but the pie looks decidedly lumpy.

Elizabeth (still following the list a week behind)