SC - Re: sc-liqeurs

Volker AElfwine volker_aelfwine at juno.com
Tue Jun 3 20:45:56 PDT 1997

>I have used Everclear (TM) and diluted it down to the desired proof
>(usually 80 proof....40% alcohol).  NEVER USE IT WITHOUT DILUTING IT
>FIRST!!!!!	Since it has no real flavor (like vodka) it allows the flavor
>of the fruit, spices, nuts, etc to shine through.
>
>meadhbh

Actually, although I brew, I don't drink much. But I have some very happy
friends!

Since they were my recipes, I  get dibs on the reply:

Everclear is dangerous stuff, and besides that, does give a harsh edge to a
liqeur. I think that would be like using artificial maple flavored
sugar-free syrup on your pancakes. You could do it, but once you had the
real thing, you'd never go back.  I sugest a high quality Vodka or White
Rum, if you can. Vodka for robust flavors, Rum for mellow flavors. Also,
Brandy makes a nice Eau-de-Vie (sugarless fruit flavored liqeur). Wine is
nice when boosted with a higher alcohol, but rarely works well on its own.
It's the alcohol that extracts the flavor.

On a related topic (extracting flavors for drinks), has anyone tried those
fruit vinegar drinks? It's a wonderful combination--beries and vinegar and
sugar. I made a Raspberry Vinegar syrup, Black Raspberry Vinegar syrup, and
a Blueberry Vinegar syrup for that Known World Pennsic Party that was held
in front of the Store next to Chatelaine's Point 2 years ago.

Here's the process:

Take equal amounts of (rasp-blue-black) berries and white vinegar by volume.
Crush the berries. Pour on the vinegar. Cover tightly. Shake gently once a
day for 5 days. At the end of the 5 days, strain well, squeezing out any
excess juice into the liquid. To the liquid, add equal amounts of sugar by
volume. Mix well (you may have to GENTLY heat). Store in colored bottles to
prevent color fade. If using blueberries, the color will be pale green (it
will turn purple over a long time). These can be stored at room temperature
(even at Pennsic)in a corked bottle. Shake well before using.

To use: Pour as a syrup over plain desserts (very good with steamed or bread
puddings). For a drink: put 1/8 cup syrup (according to taste) into a tall
glass. Add 6-8 oz. water or sparkling water.

Raspberries and Blackberries are supposed to be good for coughs and sore
throats. You won't have much trouble getting your kids to drink some of this
when they have a cold. It's like fruit punch (I tell mine it's medieval
Kool-aid!).

Enjoy---it's almost raspberry season

Aoife---cursing the guys who trimmed the trees away from the electric lines
and trampled the wild raspberry canes in the process.