SC - RE: Biggest feast anyone would want to do

David Salley salley at niktow.canisius.edu
Thu Jun 5 06:15:17 PDT 1997

david friedman wrote:

> At 5:18 PM -0500 6/4/97, maddie teller-kook wrote:

> I don't want to pick on the poster, since I think I agree with what she is
> saying in the post, but I would like to comment on an attitude in the SCA
> that I think may possibly be reflected in the quote above.
>
> There seems to be a very common attitude in the SCA that authenticity is
> something you do for A&S contests, rather than something you do because it
> is fun, interesting, and makes the Society a better place.

I do agree that there is this attitude. I have sometimes been guilty of
it. (mea culpa mea culpa).  In Ansteorra, it has been a long hard road
preparing and serving period feasts.  There is a large 'meat and potato'
mentality and changing/expanding people's palates here has been hard
work.  We have progressed!  Tho is still saddens me when people tell me
how wonderful a feast is and it consists of steak, baked potatoes and
corn on the cob!

I had hoped my comment would  emphasize the fact we are successfully
serving feasts that consist of dishes that are found in a number of
period cooking sources. I am sorry if it portrayed a 'we are better than
you attitude'.

In service....

meadhbh