SC - period travelers reports

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 6 04:56:34 PDT 1997

At 10:00 AM -0500 6/5/97, Michael F. Gunter wrote:

>Perhaps some of the attitudes that have developed are because the non-research
>mavens were approached the wrong way.  Instead of saying "That falafel
>recipe is
>totally non-period!" perhaps a different wording of "Falafel is wonderful!
>And if
>you take out the paprika and add a little buckwheat flour it's just like
>it was
>served in period."

I think an even better tactic is "I haven't found a period falafel recipe
yet, but I did see something sort of similar in a 13th century Andalusian
cookbook. Would you like to look through the cookbook and see if you can
find something even closer? It's right here."

The objective is to get the person looking through the cookbook so he will
see that there actually are lots of real, interesting, doable recipes that
were written down in the 13th century. Whether or not he finds something
close to falafel is a secondary issue.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/