SC - Caffeine in period

Wed Jun 11 13:15:05 PDT 1997

Michael Macchione 6/11/97 11:29 AM

>So I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas about what might be a
>simple (i'm artistically challenged), inexpensive and mid-eastern way to
>spruce up a feast.
>
>Kael

I occasionally cook something different for high table, depending on what
I am cooking for the feast. For a baronial champions event, I cooked an
extra soup to make it a little more special. For a Queen's champion
event, I made savory toasted cheese for high table. For Candlemas, I had
someone who is a very good bread cook, make shaped bread to spruce up the
table. I didn't do any special dishes because I was doing special dishes
for everyone!  It is not necessary to cook extra dishes for high table.

If you have a bread machine available, shaped bread isn't too hard. You
can use the machine to do all the kneading, then pull out the dough,
shape as desired (like a fish, braided into a circle, whatever), let rise
again and bake.  Since Hais (see caridoc's miscellany) is sticky, it
would probably hold shape to make something with it.  Or simple take the
extra time to setup and decorate the trays you are serving high table on.
Put some greenery under the roast meat and then serve, etc.  Use silver
trays (if someone has some they got for their wedding). Have someone who
is good at being flowery present the food to high table. There are lots
of ways to make it special.  If all else fails, just serve them good food
and don't worry about it!

Clarissa