SC - Sweeteners

Fri Jun 20 09:45:38 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Edible Flowers                      6/20/97

>>Here's one more for the list of edible flowers ,
>>Carnations, they have a peppery flavor,according to my father >>that is I've
never tried them myself.

Carnations are related to pinks/dianthus and sweet-williams, which were
refered to as "gilly flowers" in the middle ages.  They are edible and show up
in period recipes, especially sweets.  According to recipes and herb books
they are supposed to have a slight clove flavor.  They are pictured in many
borders of illuminations.  Note for using flowers (if people don't already
know) pinch off the white part at the base of petals, as this is bitter and a
little nasty tasting.