SC - Battered Sage Leaves

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:51:00 PDT 1997

  This recipe kinda looks like "halwah" (halvah?) to me- a middle eastern
  confection made with seseme seeds or other nuts (I think I have seen recipes
  using almonds and hazelnuts)- except for the ginger.  Very yummy, would appear
  to be period and you can currently buy it at most supermarkets!  Except that
  the modern version is usually marbled with cocoa powder to add color.

The modern Halvah or Halavah (does Joya still make it? It was ubiquitous in
NYC) does not have ginger or rosewater in it.  It was almost a marchpane
made from sesame seeds, and modern versions have other flavorings.

I have trouble thinking of this as Middle Eastern. More Deli food and Lower
Eastern.  (:-)  [1]

	Tibor

[1] I was raised to eat New York Jewish Deli food, and we used to have
Halvah for dessert quite often afterwards.  Traditionally, early in the
century, the Jewish immigrants to New York City settled on the lower East
side of Manhattan.  Did only Adamantius get this joke?  (And yes, Phil, I
know that for good Deli only the Village can compare in Manhattan, now).