SC - SC: Fried "Mice" (sage leaves)

Kimib2@aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 21:03:53 PDT 1997

The Steward
>said that he wanted Battered Sage leaves served at one, but I'd never
>heard of them and everyone else answered with a "What's tha then?"  does
>any gentle out there know what Battered Sage leaves are and have a recipe
>for them???

I wonder if this could be an adaptation of the Frytour of Erbes recipe out
of Form of Cury (Curye on Inglysch p. 132), although the herbs are ground
in this.

"Take gode erbys; grynde hem and medle hem with flour and water, & a lytel
yest, and salt, and frye hem in oyle. And ete hem with clere hony."

We have a worked-up version in the Miscellany with sage, parsley, oregano,
and thyme, but I have thought of trying a version on the assumption that
"herbs" means "greens" in this context.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook