SC - Re: sc-liqeurs

Volker AElfwine volker_aelfwine at juno.com
Tue Jun 3 20:45:56 PDT 1997

I have used Everclear (TM) and diluted it down to the desired proof
(usually 80 proof....40% alcohol).  NEVER USE IT WITHOUT DILUTING IT
FIRST!!!!!	Since it has no real flavor (like vodka) it allows
the flavorof the fruit, spices, nuts, etc to shine through.

meadhbh

Everclear is dangerous stuff, and besides that, does give a harsh edge
to a liqeur.
  I sugest a high quality Vodka or
>White
>Rum, if you can. Vodka for robust flavors, Rum for mellow flavors.
>Also,
>Brandy makes a nice Eau-de-Vie (sugarless fruit flavored liqeur). Wine
>is
>nice when boosted with a higher alcohol, but rarely works well on its
>own.
>It's the alcohol that extracts the flavor.

Well, I hail from Dragonspine, home of the new Outlands Brewers Guild,
and personally, I have found that while Everclear has a harsher tone to
it, it does not have some of the flavors left in bad vodka.  As for using
expensive vodka, well, the quality dies when the flavors are added.  I
have found that the little diferences that you pay through the nose for
are not worth it when the flavoring agent is added.  I can see it if it
is a spiced or herbal cordial, where the flavors are not as strong, but
not for fruit.  As for other spirited sources, anything with a high
enough alchol content can be considered.  Lower than, say, 20 percent,
and the mixture may actually start to ferment, and over 40-50 percent and
it is no longer cordial.
	 One thing that I found that works quite well, and is a good
project, is to freeze distill wines.  Using a shallow pan and multiple
freezing, pouring off the water each time, gives a major reduction in
amount, with a higher alchol content.  Depending on the wine used, one
can either use it in a cordial, or drink it on its own behalf as a
cordial.  I have a friend who made a very nice cherry wine and turned it
into a wonderful cordial just that way.
	If anyone has any remarks, I would be more than happy to hear
them.
	In service to my heart,

		Volker AElfwine