SC - Cordials

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 4 07:53:44 PDT 1997

>     Lady Morgan MacBride stated:
>       I thought that if you distilled a wine (either by freezing or
>     the more traditional method) you were creating a brandy, not a
>     cordial.  I could be wrong about that.  Any comments?

        It does, not as well as steam distillation, but it is safer, easier
and cheaper.  Keep in mind (and I say this as a disclaimer) in some states
distillation by freezing is not legal and you will be considered making
moonshine.  (Not that I think that you'll get raided but who knows who
reads this list).  Many years ago, Master Gwilym and I ran an illegal still
for a while - he had a doctorate on Organic chemistry so I felt safe about
the right kind of alcohol coming out.

As a side bar, one of the nicest out of kingdom events i attended was in
Meridies where I had my first taste of corn liquor (legal).  It was very
goodas was the cordiality of the Meridians.

Clare St. John