SC - Re: Judging cooking - too much mint!

Thu Jun 5 12:39:57 PDT 1997

  Since most medieval recipes I have seen do not include actual
  quantities, I would assume that the problem was either:

    a)  Far more mint was added than was intended by the originator of
         the recipe
                         OR
    b) The recipe wanted fresh mint, and they used the same quantity of
         dried (or vice versa - I can never keep the relationship
         straight )

Which is a lot like what I said on the Caidan list....

QUOTE BEGINS.
Hmmm.  I don't know that recipe.   Most surviving recipes don't call for
exact quantities.

[List of possibilities snipped]

Could be any of the above.  I'd bet they used a spearmint or peppermint
instead of, say, an apple mint.  If they used dried mint, it would be a HECK
of a lot stronger.  If the technique involved leaving the mint in the whole
time the rice was cooking, perhaps the idea was to make an infusion of mint,
and use the infused water to make the rice.

The latter is how I make my perfumed jasmine rice.  I make jasmine tea, and
use that to make rice with.  (With some saffron, oooh, yum!)

Edwin, if you know the source, I'd love to look it up.

	Tibor