SC - Period Recipes

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Fri Jun 6 16:09:25 PDT 1997

Date:          Thu, 05 Jun 1997 15:14:55 -0500
From:          PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)
To:            sca-cooks at eden.com
Subject:       Re: SC - Period Recipes

Volker AElfwine asked:

>Does anyone have any suggestions of a fun, easy meal over a campfire,
>for say 3 people?  I have an event this weekend and there is no feast,
>and I am planning my meals.  Period or not, I am looking for ideas.

The one piece of camp kitchen equipment that I am sorely missing (I
used to have one, but it went with the husband) is a Dutch oven.
You can cook litterally anything in one.  I have even baked in it
once or twice.  Any meal that you would be happy cooking in a
roasting pan does beautifully.  One word of warning though, it will
cook more quickly than you think.

I know that they are not cheep, about $50.00, and that they are heavy
(what, about 5-10lbs for a good sized one) and they take a little
care as they will rust if not cleaned out properly, but I think it is
a must for any camp cook.

By the way, on the subject of to be or not to be period,  I am not a
period cook, or at least have not been up to this time; this list
does have a way of changing one's ideas all around.

Aelfric