SC - Period Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jun 7 01:36:14 PDT 1997

>There is a good recipe out of 700 Years of English Cooking. Since I don't
>have it here and you need it now, I'll summarize and you can experiment if
>you want to. Its Fried Beans and Onions. Saute onions in oil, add kidney
>beans, ginger, cinnamon and another sweet spice. Heat. The onions, beans
>and sweet spices make a tastey mix and the dish is good hot or cold.

1. Kidney beans are from the new world.

2. I don't know 700 years of English Cooking well enough to identify the
recipe, but here are some somewhat similar things; the last of the three is
the closest to what you describe. All three recipes are from the
_Miscellany_, available online.

Makke
=46orm of Cury p. 41/A21

Take drawn beans and sethe them well. Take them up of the water and cast
them in a mortar. Grind them all to doust till they be white as any milk,
chawf a little red wine, cast thereamong in the grinding, do thereto salt,
leshe it in dishes, then take onions and mince them small and sethe them in
oil till they be all brown. And flourish the dish therewith. And serve it
forth.

1 cup pea beans, dry	2 large onions
1/2 c red wine	enough oil to fry the onions
1 t salt

Soak the beans overnight then simmer 4-6 hours until tender. Chop up the
onions fairly fine. Drain the beans, use a food processor to puree. Heat
the wine and add it. Put the beans in each dish, put the fried onions over
them. Broad beans (fava beans) would be more authentic than pea beans, but
we have not yet tried them in this recipe.
- ------
=46ried Broad Beans
Platina p. 115 (book 7)

Put broad beans that have been cooked and softened into a frying pan with
soft fat, onions, figs, sage, and several pot herbs, or else fry them well
rubbed with oil and, on a wooden tablet or a flat surface, spread this into
the form of a cake and sprinkle spices over it.

1 c dried fava beans 	2/3 c figs (cut in 	pot herbs: 	1 1/2 c
spinach, packed
6-8 T lard	   about 8 pieces)		1 1/2 c parsley, packed
1/2 c+ onions 	1/2 t sage 		1 1/2 c mustard greens, packed
	1/2 t salt		1 1/2 c turnip greens

Spices for sprinkling on top: 1/4 t ginger, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t pepper

Bring beans to a boil in 2 1/2 c water, leave to soak about 1/2 hour, then
simmer another hour, until soft. Drain the beans, mix the whole mess
together and fry it in the lard for 10 minutes, then serve it forth with
spices sprinkled on it.  This is also good with substantially less greens.
- ------
Benes yfryed
Curye on Inglysch p. 141 (Forme of Cury no. 189)

Take benes and see=DD hem almost til =DDey bersten.  Take and wryng out the
water clene.  Do =DDerto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec =DDerwith; fr=
ye
hem in oile o=DDer in grece, & do =DDerto powdour douce, & serue it forth.

2 15 oz cans fava beans	3 T olive oil
1 small onion chopped	poudre douce (2 t sugar, 3/8 t cinnamon, 3/8 t ginger)
3 cloves garlic (1 oz), smashed & minced

Drain and wash the beans well, draining thoroughly. Chop onions, crush and
mince garlic.  Simmer onions and garlic in 1/2 c water for 3 minutes,
drain. Heat the frying pan with oil on a medium heat, add onions and garlic
and beans (will splatter--be careful), cook, stirring frequently, 10
minutes. Then add pouder douce, mix well, cook 2 more minutes, and serve.
Remember to keep stirring.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/