SC - Cabbages and Chard

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 06:56:17 PDT 1997

<< Although I could have sworn I'd said it was chard and cabbages that were
 related... >>

Yes that is what you said and what is the source of my question. The folowing
info is what I came up with>

Garden Beet: Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
Native of Europe. Cultivated since the 3rd century c.e.
Swiss Chard: Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
Native of Europe. Cultivated since the 3rd century c.e.
Sugar Beet  :Order Polygonales. Family Polygonaceae. Species Beta vulgaris.
Native of Europe. (Historical info unknown to me).

Spinach: Order.Chenopodiales Family Chenopodaceae. Species Spinacia oleracea.
Native of Southwestern Asia. (Historical info unknown to me).

Radish: Order Papaverales. Family Cruciferae. Species Raphanus sativus.Native
of Europe and Asia. Prized in the days of the Pharoahs. and ancient Greeks.

Cabbage: Order Papaverales. Family Cruciferae. Species Brassica oleraceae cv.
"Capitata". Grows wild in England, Denmark,, northwestern France and in
Greece. Was iintroduced into cultivation in European gardens in the 9th
century c.e. Known to history back to 2500 B.C.E.
The order Polygnoles includes beet, chard, bindweed, rhubard. smartweed,
buckwheat, wild morning glory, dock, sorrel, knotweed.

The order Chinopodiales includes spinach, lamb's quarter, glasswort, russian
thistle, belvedere.

The order Papaverales includes cabbage, radish, rape, mustard rutabaga,
turnip, kale , rocket, gilliflower, horseradish, cress, honesty (moonwort).

Goddess! looove horticulture! :-)

Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)