SC - Goat Cheese

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 11 04:38:29 PDT 1997

Sharon L. Harrett wrote:

> Greetings All,
> Does anyone have documentation for goats'milk cheese in period? I have some
> secondary for Classical Greece and Rome, but that's not enough. I seem to
> remember seeing an article on the history of cheeses in a magazine (possibly
> Food &Wine) but can't find it. I have a friens who raises goats and makes
> wonderful cheese, and she would like to enter it in Art-Sci, but can't find
> anything reliable for dates and places. Help please?

There are pretty detailed instructions for making sheep's and
goat's-milk cheeses in Columella's book on husbandry (De Rustica?) which
is 1st-2nd century C.E., and they are referred to in the various
Tacuinum Sanitatis manuscripts, which are 14th century. The process is
not described in the medieval manuscripts, but Columella's process is
still more or less what is used today, and it is reasonable to assume
the same thing was done in the middle ages.

Adamantius