SC - High Table presentation

Philip E Cutone flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 11 10:13:47 PDT 1997

Michael Macchione <ghesmiz at UDel.Edu> writes:
> the High Table, an extra dish or something special for presentation.  Now
> here comes the problem, since I hadn't planned on a High Table, I hadn't

Well, not being middle eastern in persona and not having studied it to
any degree, i don't think that i am going to try my hand at that
aspect.  I will however give some personal feelings about serving high
table at *any* feast.

Provide servers for them if each table is supposed to have a server
volunteered or if it is buffet style.  If you really want to
brown... umm, err.. honor them, have the head cook (a-yup, that'd be
you) serve them. (like you don't already have enough stuff to do)

Serve them first.  (but not too far in advance)

Fixing the plates up extra nice for them (presentation) is nice.
(nice for *all*, but not always convenient.) Rather than a bowl of foo
thrown together, use a platter and garnish it nicely.

****************here is an important one****************
Do NOT serve them different dishes, unless that dish is, say something
that everyone may partake of, like a subtlety (sp?).  I've been to a
few feasts where the cook splurged on lobster for the head table to
the detriment of the rest of the feast which was...to be
kind... somewhat edible. (burnt gruel, nasty fish, etc)

The impression overall was, pun not intended, in poor taste.

in service,
filip of the marche