SC - Egg White Whipping Techniques

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Sun Jun 15 07:12:04 PDT 1997

>Brid Hecgwiht wrote:
>
>> I am looking for medieval or *early* renaissance recipes for meringue.
>
>If you hear about any, please let me know.  Meringue recipes seem to be
>conspicuous by their absence: we know that medieval people separated
>eggs, we know that they beat eggs (sorta -- it's usually described as
>"draw them through a strainer"), and we know that medieval cooks built
>sculpture and illusion foods, for which meringue would seem ideally
>suited.  But I don't know of any recipes for it.
>
>					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
>                                                 Stephen Bloch

Actually, I remember Adamantius paying fleeting attention to beating
eggwhite with a strainer when I was fairly new to this list, several months ago.

Could we please have a little more detail about the process (and perhaps a
repeat of the anecdote, about confounding some famous Chef de Haute Cuisine
with the process?).

- ---Aoife, who will forgive the cheese jokes, if she's
given a favored response ;^D