SC - Yolks vs whites

Fri May 2 12:01:27 PDT 1997

  Pardon my ignorance, as you all have many times before, but what does
  an egg yolk do (other than fat and taste) that egg white doesn't?
  I'm trying to keep the fat content down as much as possible and was
  wondering if substituting would effect anything seriously.  I know
  that the taste will be different, but what else?

Welcome to my little hell.  (I follow the Ornish Heart Disease Reversal
diet, which is a fat free vegetarian diet...)

Eggs are fats, proteins and flavors, in a tidy package.  The fats (and many
of the nutritional components) live in the yolk only.

As you have guessed, two whites can be substituted for a whole egg in most
recipes, without a problem.  Many coronary diets will substitute a
tablespoon of poly-unsaturated fats, such as canola/rapeseed oil, for a yolk
in recipes where fats are required.

I have used many of the fat free egg substitutes in my cooking, and have
found that Egg Beaters brand tastes and cooks closest to an egg.  Unspiced
and scrambled, it is a little off... but with the merest hint of spices, it
feels just like a regular egg.  It is, primarily, egg whites with coloring
and some stabilizers.

	Tibor (or his modern counterpart)