SC - Questions (a little off)

David Salley salley at niktow.canisius.edu
Wed May 7 07:22:11 PDT 1997

Adamantius writes:
>Long pepper is piper longum, as opposed to piper negrum, or black
>pepper. It is a close realtive of black pepper, but the little berries
>grow in a cluster similar to a tiny oblong bunch of grapes or an ear of
>grain. Flavor is apparently similar but not identical to black pepper.

>I have not used it myself, and have not run across any in 15 years or so
>of looking, on and off. Some claim it is extinct, while others claim to
>know where it can be obtained by mail order. All I know is that I've
>never seen any long pepper, and don't think I've net anyone else who has
>seen it themselves. Plenty of "friend of a friend" stuff, though, so I
>suppose it could be a sort of urban legend.

>My apologies to anyone who may have seen or used the stuff: I am not
>accusing anyone of deceit, just saying I've never seen it.

There's a store in Syracuse that I always go to whenever I visit my mother
in law.  It's called "The Hot Shoppe".  142 Walton Street (in Armory Square),
Syracuse, NY 13202.  Toll free phone: 1-888-HOT-EATS.  If it's a pepper,
hot spice, or hot sauce, he carries it.  The back wall of his shop is "The
Wall of Flame" and has to be seen to be believed.  It's all painted in
streaks of red, orange and yellow, roped off with police tape and all the
bottles are arranged by country of origin.  It's the only place I've ever
seen with a "Must be 21 to buy" sign that isn't above the alcohol. ;-)

							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      |   INTERNET   : salley at cs.canisius.edu
             /       |   USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
    ________/        |                Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
   |*                |   WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
  /  Rhydderich Hael |   ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     |   PERSONA    : Lord Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake
 AEthelmearc,   `_   |                AKA Dagonell the Juggler
    East Kingdom  `__|   DISCLAIMER :"Canisius never agrees with me."